Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dave Goes AWOL

On Monday I'm isolating myself away for two and a half months to write new songs for our next record. I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to be for the whole time but I'm starting at the coast and I'll drift to wherever I can find inspiration. I haven't got a whole lot of money though but that's where the magic that is Mi goreng comes into play. Apparently it's not the most nutritious food going around but it's definitely awesome and it's awesomely cheap.

This will be the first time where I've devoted a large block of time to doing nothing but writing. In the past songwriting has been fit around everything else. So I'm intensely looking forward to it. In the spirit of being technologically cool I'll be demoing tracks constantly and emailing mp3s to the rest of the band. So for isolationist purists I must admit that I'm not actually taking the isolation thing to the nth degree. I read somewhere that Bon Iver actually did hide away in a remote cabin in Wisconsin for three months to write AND record his debut last year. While my hiatus from the real world probably won't involve hunting deer I hope I will get a substantial number of songs written. "Substantial" will be defined at a later date.

If you know of any really cool new (or so old it's new) music that you think may help my creative spirit, please let me know. I'm looking for anything and everything to fuel it.

Like I said I'm not heading into the wild (at least not at this point anyway) so I'll blog about my adventures as I go and when I can.

No comments: